USDA FOG (Fats, Oils and Grease) Virtual Trainings 2020
To view our upcoming trainings, you can also go to our training calendar.
After a successful pilot project, PPRC/Western States Alliance is moving their technical training in FOG abatement from live workshops to online. The eight-hour workshop is broken into four two-hour virtual trainings, each worth .2 CEU’s. This means a total of .8 CEU’s are available to those who attend all four sessions for their state. The initial pilot covered Oregon; future trainings will cover the states listed below. Those States listed in green have been approved for CEUs. All other states are in process. If the dates are hyperlinked it means registration is available now. If you are not available to attend the date listed for your state, please feel free to register and attend a different training and still receive your CEUs.
You can register using the links below:
- June 15, 10 AM MDT – Module 1.1
- June 17, 10 AM MDT – Module 1.2
- June 22, 10 AM MDT – Module 2.1
- June 24, 10 AM MDT – Module 2.2
- June 15, 1 PM PDT – Module 1.1
- June 17, 1 PM PDT – Module 1.2
- June 22, 1 PM PDT – Module 2.1
- June 24, 1 PM PDT – Module 2.2
- July 13, 10 AM MST – Module 1.1
- July 15, 10 AM MST – Module 1.2
- July 20, 10 AM MST – Module 2.1
- July 22, 10 AM MST – Module 2.2
- July 13, 1 PM AKDT – Module 1.1
- July 15, 1 PM AKDT – Module 1.2
- July 20, 1 PM AKDT – Module 2.1
- July 22, 1 PM AKDT – Module 2.2
- August 3, 10 AM MDT – Module 1.1
- August 5, 10 AM MDT – Module 1.2
- August 10, 10 AM MDT – Module 2.1
- August 12, 10 AM MDT – Module 2.2
- September 14, 9 AM PDT – Module 1.1
- September 16, 9 AM PDT – Module 1.2
- September 21, 9 AM PDT – Module 2.1
- September 23, 9 AM PDT – Module 2.2
- September 14, 1 PM MDT – Module 1.1
- September 16, 1 PM MDT – Module 1.2
- September 21, 1 PM MDT – Module 2.1
- September 23, 1 PM MDT – Module 2.2
- October 12, 10 AM MDT – Module 1.1
- October 14, 10 AM MDT – Module 1.2
- October 19, 10 AM MDT – Module 2.1
- October 21, 10 AM MDT – Module 2.2
- October 12, 1 PM MDT – Module 1.1
- October 14, 1 PM MDT – Module 1.2
- October 19, 1 PM MDT – Module 2.1
- October 21, 1 PM MDT – Module 2.2
The training will focus on two areas:
1) Building a Business Case for a FOG Program
2) Implementation of a Successful FOG Program
The training’s are designed to assist small, rural communities that either do not have a pretreatment program, or find their current program inadequate to meet their needs. However the information contains relevance for other programs as well.
Training will include such areas as:
- Reasons for developing a FOG program and legal authority to do so.
- Involving stakeholders and communication planning.
- What is FOG, including its sources and impacts.
- How effective management protects public/community health.
- How effective management makes programs more cost-effective.
- What is out there in the way of FOG abatement products, services and programs.
For more information, please message Krysta at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FOG Training Institute Featured Course
IW’s Grease Interceptor Training Course – 2019 is now available online for a very reasonable fee. This course provides a comprehensive education on commercial grease interceptors, including the various types, what distinguishes them and how they work. You’ll learn the history of grease interceptors and how they have evolved over the years. The course also dives into the model plumbing codes and product standards that govern grease interceptors including connected fixtures, flow control, venting, and installation requirements. The course further teaches traditional sizing practices including fixture volume, pipe diameter and drainage fixture unit methods as well as newer grease production calculation and selection strategies. Western States Alliance members receive a discount, so be sure to ask when signing up.
NOTE: CEU’s (0.6) have been approved for Idaho, Oregon and Washington. To obtain your CEU’s, email your request along with a copy of the certificate of course completion.
Previous Training’s and Events
2019 WSA FOG Forum
The 2019 Forum was held at the Best Western Hood River in Oregon on April 16 & 17.
WSA 2018 FOG Forum
The 2018 Forum was held at the Best Western Hood River in Oregon on April 16 & 17. Presentations can be viewed here.
WSA 2017 FOG Forum
This year’s Forum was held April 24 and 25 at the Clearwater Casino and Resort in Poulsbo, WA. Presentations can be viewed here.
The 23rd Annual Pacific Northwest Pretreatment Workshop
The 2016 Workshop was held September 12-14 in Vancouver, WA. Presentations can be viewed here.
WSA 2016 FOG Forum
WSA members, local pretreatment staff and others gathered for a comprehensive workshop on all things FOG. The Forum was held April 18 and April 19, 2016 at the Riverhouse Hotel & Convention Center in Bend OR. Presentations can be viewed here.
Fundamentals of FOG Abatement 101
This free webinar is the first in a series intended to educate pretreatment program managers and to enlighten other stakeholders on the elements of an effective pretreatment and inspection program. In this webinar attendees will understand the true impacts of FOG on building sewers and the POTW and collection systems. We will also discuss what constitutes an effective pretreatment system and the consequences of not controlling the discharge of all fixtures in a commercial kitchen. To view the webinar go to: FOG Webinar